Wednesday 3 July 2013

Date Nineteen...Superheroes Only!

I've been having one of those weeks that makes you want to bottle and douse me in healing water of Bath Springs, St Thomas. From almost breaking my toe to unexpected car expenses, the icing on my cake of catastrophe came to a peak when I lost my pretty penny smart phone a day before I kick started my vacation. My reaction?  I think I did everything but a radio ad with just the sounds of my hollering. I blamed myself predominately. I am not usually very careless and I was rather hard on myself... I really made me feel bad. 

Tapping into my inner Sherlock Holmes skills, I was able to confirm that my phone had been targeted by of a ring of thieves that hit not only myself but other persons at the same event. A weight immediately fell off my shoulders when I learned  that I wasn't directly responsible for 'losing' the instrument. By all means, the phone was still gone but it wasn't due to carelessness on my end.

I had been with two friends when I learned my phone went missing who I believe did all they could in the moment to cheer me up. A day after the theft,I discovered that the thieves not only took my instrument but ran up my bill to about JMD$ 7000. It really was a true to life 'series of unfortunate events'. My friends rallied around me tenfold and made sure that that even though things weren't going well, that I enjoyed my hard earned week off from work. 

Having already wasted three days moping, investigating and trying to amend the damage to my account and business caused by the thieves, I began to execute my own vacation to-do's. 

One of the items was to go watch a movie alone. It sounds odd and all my female friends think I'm strange as hell but I was firm about seeing it through. Although a DIE HARD Batman and X-Men fan, I gave into the hype and went to watch 'Man of Steel'. It was a pretty decent flick and I sat there team solo and watched the movie. You see, going to the movies alone was proof to myself that I was entirely comfortable being alone where I was I expected not to be. I was stared at for sure including the person issuing the ticket and those sitting around me in the theatre but it's ok, I know what great company I am so no worries if I'm a party of 'one'. 

Watching the superhero movie also put into perspective how I felt about my stress packed week. Independent as I am, my friends kicked-ass Justice League style. They came to my rescue and the world was saved. 

In turn, we should also expect the same in our relationships even if we boast self-sufficiency. I'm no Mary Jane, Lois Lane or any other perpetual damsel in distress but there was definite need for Superman this week and I guess he missed the calling. Good thing Batman is my favourite superhero. 



No comments:

Post a Comment